This Series is first and foremost about FUN! Its a chance to boulder with your friends, or compete against them- the choice is yours!
The events are:
29 June, The Roxx, Christchurch
27 July, Hangdog, Wellington
31 August, Extreme Edge, Hamilton
21 September, Extreme Edge, Panmure
Once again there are fantastic prizes from our fabulous sponsors: NZAC, Uprising, Bivouac Outdoor and Motiv.
What's new in 2013?
We listened to your feedback and made a few wee changes this year:
- Events start at 5pm, and run till 8pm. Registration will open at 4:30pm. Last year the events started at 6pm and went a bit late for some people.
- Even more spot prizes. Bivouac, Motiv & Uprising have totally hooked us up. There should be around $2000 worth of gear to give away at each comp!
- Forerunner role. There will be a forerunner from the NiBS travelling to each event to help check grades and make sure the problems are awesome.
- Pre-registration. You can register for any of the events in the month leading up to that round. Pay at the gym or give them a call and they will let you know how you can pre-register with them.
- New scoring for the finals. Have a read of the updated Rules for a new streamlined scoring system to make the finals better and easier to understand.
What is bouldering?
Haven't heard of bouldering before? Its a form of rockclimbing on boulders, rock faces, or indoor walls anywhere between one and five metres high. Bouldering routes are called problems and climbers tackle these without the use ropes or climbing hardware. The only equipment used is rock shoes and a chalkbag, and anyone can give it a go!
How does the National Indoor Bouldering Series work?
The National Indoor Bouldrering Series is a collection of four competitions at four different indoor bouldering walls around the country.One is in the South Island and two are in the North Island. The National Champions will be those who score the most points over the four competitions.
The categories are: Open Women, Open Men, Under 18 Women, Under 18 Mens and Masters.
Under 18: Born 1996 or later.
Masters: Born 1978 or earlier.
Are the competitions really competitive? (hell no!)
The National Indoor Bouldering Series is more about participation in bouldering than anything else. Most people come along to enjoy the buzz of the bouldering scene, hang out and have a good workout. There is a healthy dose of friendly competitive spirit, usually where up and coming young climbers are trying to better their peers or out-climb established gurus. This shouldn't discourage people just starting out; the NIBS is the best way to get into bouldering and learn the tricks of the trade quickly as all the problems are marked out and there are lots of other climbers to learn from! The Series is for all ages and all abilities.
A big thankyou to our sponsors: The New Zealand Alpine Club, Uprising, Bivouac Outdoor and Motiv.